Here’s the deal. I’m not doing this to make money. I won’t be putting any ads on this site or asking for donations or anything like that. I’m doing this because I enjoy writing about myself and my life…
… OK, you caught me… and to promote the book I’m writing.
It’s a memoir, a funnyish look at the wacky, unpredictable path Drew and I took to parenthood. It may or may not end up being called Where Do Gaybies Come From? I have an awesome literary agent, and I’m hoping to have a manuscript she can shop around by next spring. It’s a lot of work, but it’s also the most gratifying and fun thing I’ve ever written.
But here’s the thing. Unless you’re someone big and important, like Snooki, it’s hard to get publishers to notice you. All they know of you is what they can find online. The best way to get published is to build up an online following. Twitter, Facebook, blog hits. They really look at those things.
So it’s not just out of pure narcissism that I’m asking you, if you like my blog, to help spread the word. You don’t even have to do much. As many of the following things as you’re comfortable doing, I would be extremely grateful for.
1. Like the Where Do Gaybies Come From? page on Facebook, if you haven’t already. There’s a button right here on this page. Over there, at the top right corner. See it? Please click it. Then you’ll hear about new posts in your Facebook timeline. There, that was easy, right?
2. Follow my Twitter account, Why Jerry Why. (90% fresh snark, 10% blog promotion!)
3. Comment on my posts. I’ll read everything anyone writes, I’ll try to respond, and other people will be more likely to join in the conversation when they see your comments.
4. If you read something here you really like, please share it on Facebook. If it makes you laugh or you think your friends will appreciate it, then pass it on. This is the easiest and most effective way for me to get exposed to new people. If you haven’t seen something here yet that you like enough to share, then just you wait. Your favorite post will be coming soon.
5. Subscribe to the blog by entering your email address under where it says “Follow Blog Via Email”. You won’t get spammed, I promise. You will just be notified automatically via email every time I post something new here.
Many of you probably know more about the internet than I do, so if you’re on other social networking sites, then feel free to +1 me or Digg me or whatever, too. Go for it.
I can’t tell you how much I appreciate everyone coming here and checking the site out, and if that’s all you feel comfortable doing, then I thank you for that. Believe me, I feel as awkward writing this post as you might feel reading it. Just consider it like an NPR pledge drive, only nothing costs you money and I’m not giving out tote bags.