OK, maybe my book isn’t quite tabloid fodder deserving of a headline like that, but if you think it’s some dry how-to guide about surrogacy or gay daddyhood, you’re way off. Publisher’s Weekly called it “uproarious” and “touching,” and Tim Carvell of “The Daily Show” and “Last Week Tonight With John Oliver” said, “Mommy Man belongs on the same shelf with Dan Savage and David Sedaris, unless you’re one of those weirdos who sort your books alphabetically.”
Maybe you think because you read this blog that you already know my whole story? I promise, you don’t, and if you like what you read here, you’ll love the book even more.
I spent two years of my life writing this book, because I knew I had a great story to tell, full of surprises, sweetness and humor, and I wanted to share it with people (and someday, when they’re older, with my kids).
What’s now hitting bookstore shelves near you is a comedic memoir about my life, starting when I was a closeted gay kid who never thought he’d be a dad and ending over 20 years later when (spoiler alert!) I’m a dad. Along the way, it’s full of funny stories, awkward confessions and tons of unexpected little tidbits. Here are just a few topics you’ll read about in my book:
1. Which popular and beloved 80s teen films shoved me further back into the closet as a kid.
2. How MTV’s The Real World brought Drew and me together.
3. How American Idol almost caused us to break up.
4. Which shocking celebrity scandal I predicted two years before the news actually broke.
5. How you could kinda say this guy was my first:
6. Which celebrity left a weepy voicemail on Drew’s phone that we played over and over for laughs.
7. Why I will always associate Sarah Palin with homoerotic wrestling videos.
8. The worst thing you can possibly say to a woman who’s just donated eggs, and which completely unexpected person said it to Susie.
9. How a trip to Disneyland found us a surrogate, and how another trip there almost got our kids lifetime passes.
10. The absolutely astounding and even more selfless thing Susie has done since donating eggs for me and Drew.
“Mommy Man” is the fun, feel-good read everyone always says they’re looking for and can never find. Don’t take my word for it. Read the endorsements from Scary Mommy, Baby Sideburns, Stefanie-Wilder Taylor of “Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay” and more!
* * * * *
Mother’s Day is less than one week away, but Mommy Man Day is even closer! This Thursday, May 8, is the official release day of my book, “Mommy Man: How I Went From Mild-Mannered Geek to Gay Superdad.” Hmmm… have I mentioned that already? To celebrate, I’m orchestrating my official Chart Twerk 2. If you haven’t already bought your copy, I ask that you buy one on Thursday, as close to 12pm EST as possible. It can be online or at your favorite bookstore. If a bunch of people buy at the same time, the book has a good chance of making an impact on the sales charts. How high can it go? Top 1,000? Top 100? I can’t wait to find out!
* * * * *
I’ll be tweeting a bunch around the book’s release, so now’s a great time to make sure you’re following me on Twitter and Facebook!
* * * * *
Do you really want to help me out? Share this post (or one of your favorite Mommy Man posts from the past) on your social networks using the handy share buttons below. Post a selfie of you holding your copy of “Mommy Man” to my Facebook wall, and you could win an autographed copy. If you’ve already read the book, write a review on Amazon, GoodReads, Barnes & Noble or wherever you prefer to review books.
I scored an Early Reviewer copy of the book from LibraryThing (one of the few books I actually wanted to win!) and can’t wait to read it!
That’s awesome! Glad to hear the book went to someone who wants to read it and not just someone who’s going to resell it for cash. Hope you like it!
I’ll post my review at LibraryThing (I’m @Litgirl7 over there) I have a good feeling about this one! Good luck with the book and everything related. A book is a hard (and bad-ass!) thing to do!!
Thanks! I just friended you on LibraryThing (though I’m not on there too much). Can’t wait to read your review!
Cool! Now I just have to wait for the book to get here!
That’s great! Congrats! Hope you like it! 🙂
Pingback: Tomorrow is Mommy Man Day! | Mommy Man